Thursday, October 7, 2010

Pushing Buttons

Today was a tough day, a day with lots of pain, lots of sleep, and lots of suction.

Another day dealing with mucositis.  Sarah spent most of the day in her hospital bed, she was up for a little while sitting on a chair and went for one short walk but other than that she was in her bed for most of the day.  The pain in her mouth and throat is severe but she seems to be managing it with the pain meds.  She is also using the suction a lot as it hurts to swallow.  She isn't drinking much, and has not ate a thing all day, which is common at this stage of the game.  She is using the club soda on a regular basis which seems to clear things up a little bit.  She has had the fever all day and because of this she shakes or shivers often, the fever, as I said last night, is most likely caused by the mucositis but they have been keeping a close eye on her all day.

Sarah has been sleepy all day due to the pain meds so I spent a lot time on the computer (thanks G&M) as Sarah  dozed in and out.  At one point she was playing a game on her phone and fell asleep.  The nurses have said that it's fine to sleep through these days, they are the worst, and the quicker they go the better.  Despite all of this I am still amazed with my wife, she is so focused and determined on getting past these days.  I pray she is able to keep this up.  Sarah sang this song a lot in Edmonton, at one point she said it was her theme song.


"Ain't nothin' gonna to break my stride
Nobody's gonna slow me down, oh-no
I got to keep on movin'
Ain't nothin' gonna break my stride
I'm running and I won't touch ground
Oh-no, I got to keep on movin'"



K

Oilers game tonight and I am in enemy territory...



Sarah busy on her phone. 


 
Look closely


This hospital room is better than a sports bar, the beer doesn't taste right though....

21 comments:

  1. Dad and Mum RietveldOctober 7, 2010 at 8:36 PM

    Hey Kurt - Cheer hard for those Oilers - sorry about the beer! Sarah, we hope you start feeling better soon and will be able to eat a little or drink something other than club soda. Are they feeding you intravenously ? About your "Cactus" post - I keep thinking about the cactus plant being able to store water in its leaves for a long time so it doesn't need watering very often but knowing you Kurt, there's probably a different twist. Please solve the mystery for us! Lots of love, hope the fever breaks and happy puzzling for tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Oilers are looking real good early!

    They aren't feeding her intravenously. I think they said they would only start that if this goes on really long. Yesterday it felt like Sarah sucked on a lollipop made of cactus.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sarah and Kurt,
    I've been reading your postings everyday and praying for Sarah and the family. Again I am so amazed at how strong Sarah is. We've been praying for you guys at Bethel church as well, and will continue to do so. Sounds like today was a tough day, I hope tomorrow is better. Take care and sleep well Sarah.
    Tina Fermaniuk

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey guys, I miss you both and it is hard to read what you are going through... Know that you are in my prayers! Love you lots and lots

    ReplyDelete
  5. My Sweet, Sweet Sarah...I am so looking forward to seeing you tomorrow. Its hard to read what you are going through and not be able to be there with you. You have been so strong and I am so proud and amazed at how brave you have been. Hang in there kiddo. Hopefully the pain won't last too much longer and the fever breaks soon.
    Love you, Auntie Marg

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your blogs are captivating; I'm sure you know this. But every time I read one i am struck again at how well your writing opens your struggles and joys to us all. Thanks for opening this window.
    Hang in there Sarah, that ugly ditch you're wading through is getting shorter and shorter. You are our hero! We think that you are Mom #1!!! Not a bad Dad too!!! Go Oil
    Ricardo and Aileentje!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey, Kurt, I see your flag in the window, flyin' high in that apartment!! And yes, the Oilers just won, as we speak!! So you must be cheering them on, for sure. That cactus sounds so painful and we continue to pray for healing in that regard. We hope you both sleep well, in spite of the circumstances and that tomorrow will be a better day, with lower temperatures and for an ability to drink and eat a bit. God bless you both and hold you close under the shadow of His wing. Good night.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good evening Kurt & Sarah
    sarah, i can hear you singing that song in my head...an awesome theme song!!i'm pretty sure i can remember belting that song out with you in the car, back in the day. keep that positive attitude Sis!! i love the puzzling idea too!! Something to keep your mind occupied.
    Stay Strong you two!!
    Elaine & Dale

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like a tough day, I wish there was more we could do or at least be with you. But know that we think about both of you all the time, we will always keep praying and we can't wait till you're back here so you can invite yourselves for dinner again. Xo nan

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can hear her singing too Elaine! Another good entry Kurt, thanks again for the daily updates. Praying that tomorrow is a better day for you both. Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear Kurt and Sarah, It's impossible for us to imagine the awful scratchy dryness you are experiencing Sarah. Have you considered Kurt, blending up some fresh aloe vera (buy a plump aloe plant, peel the leaves and blend up the gel with water). It soothes burns instantly and would help Sarah's throat I think. It's used for dressing wounds and anything to do with skin irritation.
    Also Kurt you should talk to Tante to get her recipe for blending up fresh veggies and fresh fruits for liquid chemical-free energy boosters. Wish I were there to whip up some good healthy nutritious yogurt shakes, etc. Malt beer is supposed to be good for you too, lots of calories. Hang in there Kurt and Sarah.
    A big hug from us in Africa where we're already half way through Friday.
    Tante Jet

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Sarah & Kurt, Sorry that you are in so much pain . Hang in there and keep singing your song. Hopefully the days will pass by fast. We are always thinking of you and praying everyday. Love Aunty Mary & Uncle Ben

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jesus said," My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Your body may feel weak, but you carry with you an amazing power Sarah. Stay strong today-reach deep and trust that God will pull you through today. You can do it!
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  14. @Tante Jet.
    The only thing Sarah is really putting in her mouth is the suction nozzle. She might have the odd sip of water, but her throat is so sore she wont drink anything...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Sarah, I have just sat down and read your entire blog. It made me laugh and cry and just want to reach out and hug you. You and your family are so brave and inspiring.Your faith and the trust you all put in our God is so powerful. It inspires me to be more like you. I hope that you feel how much you are loved not only by your family but by all of us whom have had the pleasure of having you in our lives. I pray for you and your recovery. Take care sweet Sarah. Hugs and kisses.

    Love Karen Eppinga

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Sarah,
    Hope the hours are passing quickly these next few days. Hope and pray for your recovery and know that God is watching closely over you, because He cares for you. Kurt, the blog is amazing; thanks for the updates. Take care.

    Leanne Craig

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hey Kurt & Sarah
    Kurt Thanks for the updates, Sarah keep drinking
    I wish that I could take your pain, As Leanne said God is watching over both of you,
    Love, Monika

    ReplyDelete
  18. Kurt and Sarah
    Hope today is a better day for you. It must be hard to keep up your strength, and it is so inspirational to here how you keep fighting. Lately when I think of the saying "if life gives you lemons, make lemondade" I think of you guys because of your strong and positive attitudes. Hoping the days fly by until you start feeling better sarah.
    Lisa Vander Heide
    P.S - Kurt hopefully no Calgarians figure out which room has the oilers flag!!! Victory was sweet for you I'm sure being in calgary

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sarah had to go down for an x-ray last night, and the game was on down there. Three or four people talked to me about the game saying "whats wrong with the flames" or "things are going bad in this game" as soon as they said that I had a grin on my face and told them who I was cheering for.

    ReplyDelete
  20. We kept hearing the replay of the final goal at work today, and every time I heard it I thought of you guys in Calgary! For the first time in a long time it was sweet to be an Oilers fan =)

    Hope today is turning out to be a little easier! Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Dear Sarah and Kurt,
    I am going to sleep with a prayer on my heart for you both. Jesus will lift you up when you fall. Jesus will wipe your brow when you are weary. Jesus touch will restore hope to your heart when you are discouraged. Sleep well and trust that God is watching over you both. Good night.

    ReplyDelete