Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Lounge

Today started out like most other days here.  I am running out of ways to start blog entries, so for today this is all you get...

We made the five minute walk over to the hospital and got Sarah hooked up for her meds once again.  She is getting most of the same stuff that she has received the last few days.  She rotates the days for the methotrexate with folinic acid another drug that stops the chemo.  They want the chemo to work for a bit and then they want it to stop it.  This is done to slow the chemo down, so it only works for a bit, and then it's stopped and then a few days later it starts again.  Today was a day where Sarah received methotrexate, which is fine because the effects of the chemo is spread out, so she is unable to feel any difference day to day.

Last night Sarah's mouth and throat was bugging her a bit, and when she woke up it was feeling worse.  She popped in a few codeine before we went to her hospital room.  This seemed to help a little bit, but after the codeine wore off she asked for some morphine.  Her pain was kept in check today as she let the nurses know when it started to hurt.  They set up a PCA (morphine on demand) pump, but she hasn't used it yet.  They also set up a saliva vacuum similar to what you see at the dentist, this is to suck out any phlegm that she is unable to get rid of on her own, she used it only a couple of times today.  Sarah did manage to get out to the apartment for a few hours before dinner, so she sat and read stem cell transplant stories while I did dishes.  Sarah is getting sick of staying in her hospital room so we spent a lot of time in the patient lounge today.  We are both very careful to sanitize before and after we hang out in this area.  Currently she is watching The Good Wife while I type this.  After that we will watch GLEE, because she is a gleek.

I try to think of things to share during the day to keep the blog interesting so this is another thing that I found interesting.  Every day, twice a day cleaners come into the room and clean the room from top to bottom.  My favourite guy is the floor guy, he is a middle aged Mexican guy who is always cheery.  You cant understand what he says but he is always smiling and whatever he is saying is funny, I know this because he laughs after he says it.  I am tempted to ask him for a cerveza.  Jose comes in first and then the ladies come in, they never say anything but they wipe down the walls, the windows, the tables, the pictures and the entire bathroom.  On Monday it was test day, this woman came into the room who I am guessing is the supervisor of the cleaning staff and started dabbing some stuff in different places throughout the room.  We asked her what the stuff was and she explained that she would come into the room after it was cleaned and use a light to show her if any of these spots were missed.  Shortly after she left two women came in and snooped around looking for these spots, one woman even went into the bathroom with a flashlight to try and find these spots.  Well that room was cleaned very very well that day.

Time to take a picture and post this entry.  Pray for Sarah in these next few days as the pain from the mouth sores could get really intense.
K




Sarah in the lounge area

10 comments:

  1. yes, #1 comment again! Kurt you should have an app on your phone for communicating in spanish with the cleaning guy. "los oops faltaron un punto" is - oops missed a spot in spanish. praying for your mouth Sarah. keep that that phlegm in check. love you guys. keep the lounge a cool place to chill.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mom and Dad,
    I had a good day today, went to visit my cousins Quinn, Leah and Annika. Tante Lena took me there because she needed a strong guy to help her babysit the 2 girls. It was kind of boring -I fell asleep after awhile.
    Actually, I have more fun at home with Scout. Tonight Oma and I went to the backyard and threw the ball up high. Scout just jumps up and catches it and that makes me laugh out loud. I can't get him to understand that I'm still too little to throw that slimy ball for him to fetch. He always drops it beside me when I'm playing on the floor. After Oma gave him a little spanking he stopped licking me, but really, I kinda like his licks.
    I hope you're mouth doesn't hurt too much Mom. It must be a lot worse than teething.
    Luv you both.
    Cael

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarah and Kurt ~
    May you feel the presence and peace of Christ all around you as you turn in for the night. Praying that His provision and power will be felt by both of you, in being enough to sustain you tomorrow as you wake up and get on with your day. Good night. God bless you and keep you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sarah, I'm a Gleek too.....missed tonight though, so now I have to download it from itunes. Laughed out loud last week when Sue came into the bathroom and told the girls to shut up. Anytime she starts pushing the kids in the hallway is enough to make an episode worthwhile.
    Thinking of you lots. Praying for sleep, and strength, and a fast recovery from your very sore mouth and throat. One day closer!
    Deb Pinchuk

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good episode of Glee hey? Nothing new or too exciting here...Cael and Anika hung out today. Anika expressed her emotions loudly, Cael examined his hands, they both rolled around a little, so all in all a pretty good time. Leah likes playing with Lego these days and Quinn got a Wolverine costume. Can't wait for him and Myderman to fight some crime together! Love you guys, good night!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Sarah, Just got home from work and always quikly go in to read your blog at the end of my day. I know your days are getting pretty routine there and worse when your mucosis is kicking in rather harshly. Stay strong and take all those painkillers as you need them. We'll keep praying for God's gentle and healing hand to carry you through this tough time. So glad Kurt can be with you through all these tough times too as a constant suppport and encourager. May God's peace continue to surround you.
    Grace Craig

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Ryan, I have that app on my crackberry and what you wrote really means oops missed the POT in spanish. Kurt and Sarah, not all you read in Wikipedia nor what you hear from Mr. NY NY Ryan will always be true. One thing I know is true though is that you, Sarah and Kurt, rock. I love you both and am overwhelmed by your courage and honesty.
    Incidently, what do you make of running into someone just a wee bit further than you in your journey/treatment? Pretty sweet to get a glimpse of the other side of that ugly ditch you are beginning to wade across and through. I hope that that distant shore is seeming a bit closer every day, but I cannot imagine what the waiting is really like. Hang on Sarah, hang on Kurt, its the storm, and not you, that's going to blow away (Secret Garden musical - has it been on Glee yet?). Courage sister, courage brother. May I one day be even half as brave as either one of you. Peace, peace, God's peace...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Sarah, Uncle Keith here. I read your blog every day and pray for you often as I go through the day. I don't comment often but I'm here with you in my thoughts. I would love to come and see you some time if I'm not too dirty. I don't think I'm dirty but you never know! I guess I would have to sanitize myself or I would bring the outside in. Donna could cook something or I could pick up something to eat if you'd like. I'd like to do that. Be strong. Lean on God. Remember the "Footsteps in the Sand".

    ReplyDelete
  9. You should ask Xavier to teach you how do dance,
    I wonder if he was on the "animation" team at one time?
    I bet he knows baby face!

    Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Sarah and Kurt! Thank you for sending me the link to your blog. I have spent the last hour reading through all of your entries. They have made me cry, laugh and cry some more. Thank you for sharing your story! You are both such amazing people!!! Mike and I will keep you in our prayers and hopefully we can come visit you soon :)

    Janet Cazemier

    ReplyDelete