Another rough day. Sarah Slept in the hospital and slept well, this was probably due to the morphine that she was getting. Before she went to sleep they hooked up the PCA pump so she could get her morphine on demand. This morning she was pretty groggy but was determined to get up and not sleep all day. We unplugged her IV and walked to the lounge, we sat down and started to work on a puzzle. I think we were both surprised at how much we enjoyed it, just sitting there talking and working on a puzzle. It was 12:30 before we knew it, so I went up to the apartment for a bite to eat and Sarah went to have a snooze in her bed. I ran out and got Sarah a few different drinks to try, her throat is so sore and she won't eat anything so we are now trying to get calories from drinks. She is also getting all of her meds through an IV as her throat is unable to handle pills. The preferred drink of the day was gatorade, however she didn't drink too much. The nurses have said that eating and exercise is very important to a quick recovery, I am trying to get her to eat or drink anything, but if I push it she is quick to tell me. She has been doing well with getting up and around though, she didn't want to lie in bed all day which is a good thing. After her snooze we went to work on our puzzle again. We worked on it for a few hours and then it was time for another nap. She slept for a couple of hours and then this evening we sat up and talked on skype to her sisters, which was nice for her and her sisters. Sarah is watching survivor now and will probably doze off soon.
This evening Sarah had a fever of 38.8, anytime its over 38.5 they draw blood cultures. They just took the blood and it will go down to the lab. We were told that this is expected as the mucositis is setting in, but they do cultures regardless. We hope and pray that there is no infection. Time to turn in, good night.
K
Puzzle time, making Oma & Opa Rietveld proud!
We love you two. Keep trying to eat or drink something. It must be so difficult. My mum understands the struggle you are having and has been praying for you also. Sleep well.
ReplyDeleteMiriam
Ryan must be busy tonight, really busy. He didnt get the first comment of the post award. Congratulations Miriam!
ReplyDeleteSarah and Kurt, may you feel God's arms surrounding you close to His heart as He pours His grace upon you in abundance!! We continue to pray for comfort, hope, and healing as you deal with the mucositis that is causing so much pain for Sarah. Also praying that she may be able to eat and drink more tomorrow. Sleep well.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeletePraying so much for you Sarah. Stay strong and try and get some calories in you. What is the puzzle of? How many pieces? And what does cactus mean?
ReplyDeleteWhen you finish the puzzle you know what picture I want to see posted on the blog....
ReplyDeleteKeep it up Sarah!
DR. Phil often says: "Where there's one rat you see, there are 50 you don't see." That's the same with the comments......for every comment written by family and friends, there are so many more reading the blog!! Hoping it was a good day. We have so much respect for both of you.
ReplyDeleteBe convinced that many people carry you, by prayer, through the day and night, so do we.
Keep trying to eat Sarah! Praying you are able to eat more tomorrow and in less pain. As soon as the word puzzle was mentioned I immediately thought of your family and all the puzzle loving Rietdijks (?) Have a good night and sleep well! Love the Tchir Family
ReplyDelete"When peace like a river attendath my way
ReplyDeleteWhen sorrows like sea billows roll,
Whatever my lot, Thou has taught me to say
It is well, it is well with my soul".
It just struck me that HE has TAUGHT us to say that it is well with our soul
Praying for strength in peace for you. Sleep well. Evelyn
This morning I printed off all the blog posts of the past week so I could drop them off at Opa and Oma's (they didn't get a chance to read them on the computer). That was a lot of printing, about 20 pages including all the photos! They loved it! But now I think I'll have to print off today's entry and drop it off tomorrow - they'll get such a kick out of that :)
ReplyDeleteOn Friday Dirk and I are heading out to Jodi's place for the Thanksgiving weekend. What are your plans for Thanksgiving? Whatever they are, I'm sure this will be a very special Thanksgiving celebration for everyone! (Hope Sarah will be able to enjoy a little bit of the turkey too ;)
Good morning! It looks like another beautiful day here. Hope you are enjoying the same weather there. As each day brings new adventures and challenges, remember that our God has promised to not give us more trials than He knows we can handle and rise up from. Stay strong and brave, knowing that you are loved. Good to see you guys puzzeling. Enjoy your day.
ReplyDeleteKevin told me about your blog. Even though we did not know about the blog, we and a lot of other people were praying for you. Hope the pain is not too severe. Did not read all your blogs yet but I understand that this is day four and the worst day for you Sarah. Hope you feel a little better for Thanksgiving and can enjoy some pumpkin pie with whip cream. Lots of calories but we of course eat it only for the vitamins. Making a puzzle is a great distraction. Take care and God be with you. Gezina and Bert
ReplyDeleteI remember making puzzles while I was in the hospital too. It was a great diversion for me. So much, in fact, that my IV ran dry and started backing up. That was the end of the puzzelling and followed by a quick trip to the nursing station. Makes me laugh now ~ not so funny at the time though. ;o)
ReplyDeleteI am praying that the fever is gone, Sarah, and that no infection has shown it's ugly head!!
Blessings on your day, Sarah and Kurt, and remember that when difficulty comes, we can celebrate God's past faithfulness while awaiting His promised help. Love coming your way.
Praying that the fever was nothing serious!
ReplyDeleteIsn't it fun how something other than Facebook can occupy so much of your time without you realizing it! =) Of course, I don't think Sarah has ever been as bad of ahem, some of us, me included! Hm, making me think that maybe I should tackle one of the puzzles sitting behind me on the table ...
I haven't posted in a few days but I've been reading your blog and praying for you every day! Praying that your fever goes away and no infection is found, and also that the pain of the mucositis is over quickly and that the morphine is effective! You guys are both so strong, hang in there!
ReplyDeleteHello Sarah & Kurt, I have posted e-mails
ReplyDeletePlease look back.
Also try to Eat drink May God give you both peace Love, It's great to see you doing a pizzel
It reminds me of my OLD days!!!! Ha Ha
Love, Hey
Monika
Monika, I read your comments. Thank you!
ReplyDeleteI think it is Ryan and Sarah Hop's anniversary. Hey Ryan/Sarah, keep it real.
ReplyDeleteSarah and Kurt, may you find enough rest and sleep well. The world looks a whole lot better after a good rest. Peace
Hey guys,
ReplyDeletethinking of you today and praying for some pain- free bites/swallows.
Lauren says, "I'm so happy that you're going to feel better soon. I hope you have a good day and night. Be happy today. Bye!"
God bless you both
Drost's