Tuesday, January 4, 2011

JK Livin'

When we were in Calgary I knew exactly how many days we had been there and how many days it was until we could go home.  Today, I don't know how many days we have been home, I know we are getting close to day 100, but I don't know how many days we have been home, and that is okay with me.  

Since we arrived back home it has been very busy, busy with Christmas and busy with visiting with family and friends.  We spent the past few weeks the way we would have any other year, which was awesome.  We had Christmas eve at my parents house, and Christmas day with Sarah's family.  It is so nice to be with our families once again, there were numerous times where I stopped to think about how glad I am that we were all together once again.  I am sure we all thought that throughout the holiday season.  New years was spent with friends of ours, normal right?  It has been busy for Sarah and I, but the type of busy what we were desperately longing for in Calgary.  Our boys are doing good and seem to be adjusting well to coming back home.  Sarah and I are also adjusting well, I think we were both worried about coming back to such a busy life again, but so far its going smoothly.

Last week Linden was sick, he was puking etc. and not eating.  The next day Cael and I had the same thing.  We were concerned that Sarah would end up catching the same bug, and sure enough she did.  I called the clinic in Calgary and they requested blood work.  The next day we went to the cross and blood was drawn.  At this point Sarah was already feeling a little better.  After blood was drawn they started an IV of magnesium and potassium because those are usually low with a stomach bug.  Halfway through this the nurse practitioner came back with the blood results which were really good.  Sarah's platelets were 114 and her hemoglobin was 91, her other counts were all in the normal range.  The Nurse said that they look like blood results from a different patient.  She phoned Calgary and was told to discontinue the Potassium and magnesium and give Sarah a half litre of fluid.  We also asked about the bone marrow test that was given before we left Calgary, the only results that she could give us is that there wasn't leukemia found.  I think they might have better results for us for Sarah's appointment on the 10th.  Sarah seems to be doing well with being home, she is however fatigued like they said she would be.  I will try to get her to write a blog to explain...

We recently found out that the singer/piano player on that song Swim by Jack's Mannequin is a leukemia survivor.  Last night we watched his documentary "Dear Jack", it was a pretty decent look into what he had to go through.  He had the same kind of leukemia as Sarah and also underwent a stem cell transplant.  That might explain why the lyrics of that song hit so close to home.

K

9 comments:

  1. so glad things are getting back to normal. Keep up the good work

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful to hear an update! So glad that everything is going well and that the flu bug ended up bringing some reassuring news of good blood counts!

    Praying you don't catch anymore of these winter flu's/colds and that Sarah can get the rest she needs.

    All the best and God bless! Thinking of you muchly still! -- does that make sense? =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This all so good to hear! A stomach bug that brings good news! How odd that we have that bug going around here, you guys have it there and Wendys family has been fighting it too in Arizona! Anyway glad you all pulled thru that nasty bug. No wonder that song was so meaningful to you! How awesome is that!!
    Glad you all are adjusting and enjoying normal life. Happy New Year to you!
    May 2011 be full of good things and blessings from above.
    Love, Jack and Evelyn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sarah & Kurt
    It's great to hear from you again, I hope you read my blog last time, I didnt get a chance to see if the person reponded.

    I happy you had a great Christmas and things are getting back to normal

    God's Blessing's to your family
    Love, Monika
    Ps Blessing's from My Sister & Brother
    Hilda & John

    ReplyDelete
  5. Finally a post. Thanks, Kurt. I can imagine this has been a busy time for you and Sarah and kids. Company, Christmas, visiting, living. All takes time. I was so thankful to hear that Sarah's counts look so good .. even after a bug hit her! What a blessing that is! We pray that you will all stay healthy and stay strong in your faith. We are giving thanks with you and will continue to hold you up before our heavenly Father. Have a good week!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay! Such a great Christmas. Would not have been the same without Kurt , Sarah and the boys and the famous nacho dip. I think i ate too much! Kinda felt gross the next day but it is just sooooo good!
    My client who was in the salon with you kurt, the one who is a doctor in Calgary from south africa, asked about you today. She is so sweet and was happy to hear Sarah is doing well! Anyway! So are we all! keep us posted yo!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's great having your family around again...you were missed!!! Looking forward to many more good times ahead and continuously praying for good health.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad to hear you are all doing well. That nasty flu bug sure has been making the rounds we all had it too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So happy for you 2 and the boys, and what great news too about the blood work. Still in our thoughts and prayers to stay healthy and happy!
    Love, Sher and Steve.

    ReplyDelete