Hey Everyone,
I'm finally writing a post for you. I know it's been a long time since the last one Kurt wrote, but I have to say, it's been busy around here. Not in a way most people would think, but when you go from just the two of you living together away from home and then back to your old life with two busy kids and a house, I've found it to be quite a change, and at times not an easy one. Don't get me wrong, I love being home with the boys and wouldn't trade it for the world, but it's been tough adjusting. I find myself doing everything I can for the boys and trying to be the same as I was before this all happened, but I'm still far from that but after a couple days of that I am burnt out and exhausted. I'm having a hard time finding a balance in taking care of myself and being there as much as I can for the boys (all of them, Kurt included). I know, in time, it will come, but I can get pretty impatient with myself.
So, what's been going on lately? Hmm, not very much. We had our first appointment at the Cross, it was good and all my blood work is doing what it needs to do. They said everything looked good. Their only concern is my weight, I'm considered malnourished, which I never thought would be a problem for me. I have always loved food and never had a problem with eating it. I probably over indulged a time or two. However, now, I am not getting even close to the amount of calories needed in a day. This has and will continue be my biggest battle. I have lost enough weight that you can count my ribs....yuck is right. Never in a million years did I think I would have to gain weight and fat. But I never thought I would get cancer either. So, I need to eat as much as I can in a day and drink and drink and drink. The doctors at the Cross want to see me every two weeks for awhile, so they can monitor my weight and such. But once that is a bit better, we will only be going there once a month to get blood work done and see the doctors.
I went to an appointment today at the fertility clinic at the Royal Alex. I found out that my reproductive system has shut down which I knew could happen after chemo and the transplant. But when they finally tell you that you can't and won't have more children, the news is hard to take. I thought I had dealt with it and was okay with not having any more kids, but to have it so finalized, and not by your choice, is heart breaking. I always pictured my life with a house full of kids, driving a minivan, going a million places at once, but now that will never be. I cried the whole way home from the appointment, and when I got home I cried while I gave my little boys the biggest hug ever. I need to keep telling myself that I will be fine and I am very lucky to have Linden and Cael in my life, and they are healthy and happy. We have a family, even if it is only 4 of us, we are a family.
Tomorrow is the dentist. I hate the dentist and I am very afraid of what he will tell me. Because of the transplant, my teeth are bad, I feel it. So I am worried that I will need fillings and stuff like that. It's crazy, but I would rather have another bone marrow aspirate than a filling. I'm serious. That's how much I don't like the dentist.
Well, hopefully we will write sooner than we did last time. I want to keep writing with updates and stuff like that. Thanks for all your comments and thoughts, I love reading them and they defiantly help this whole process we are going through. Please keep praying for continued healing as my body is re-adjusting to everything. Oh, and for me get fatter.
Love Sarah
So good to hear from you again, Sarah, and to hear that your blood counts look good. So much to be thankful for. I just cannot imagine you having to gain weight .. when I am trying so hard to lose some. Crazy how that goes. Praying along with you that you will have a real desire for food and that your body will hold that nourishment in and start to make you "fat."
ReplyDeleteMay God continually refresh your heart and give you strength equal to the demands of each new day!! Sleep well and blessings on your day tomorrow. Take good care of yourself so that you will be able to also care for your boys.
We love you Sarah! I can not imagine the heart ache you must feel from hearing about your fertility. I pray that God gives you peace with what has happened and who knows what windows He may open for you in the future? :). Because we know that when God closes a door he opens a window! Continue eating and "enjoy" this one time in life when you must eat to get fat lol
ReplyDeleteKeep at it Sarah, you've come so far! Rest, eat and continue loving your boys, all 3 with as much passion as you do! You are an amazing mommy!
Love the Tchir family
Ok, here goes......I hope you get fat! That sounds like something you would wish, out of jealousy, on a skinny friend, but in this situation I sincerely hope you gain lots of weight!! So sorry to hear about the affects of the treatment on your fertility. Sad how many things we take for granted when all is "normal". We like to think it's things that we control, but in the end it's all Gods doing. And of course we know He will give us what we need and open doors that we don't even know are there!
ReplyDeleteAs for the dentist; what can I say? I'm with you..they are the worst! Pray all goes well. You shouldn't have to worry about your teeth and dentists at this time, so sorry! Hang in there. Let us know in your next blog how the visit went. God bless you all! ...Evelyn
hey you. wish I'd read this sooner....before small group. You are so special to so many people.
ReplyDeletepraying for food to stay in and for results that make you grow! you are gorgeous and seeing you made me remember just how much you smile. Love that about you.
praying for peace, comfort, rest and calories.
big hugs
michelle
I hate the dentist to so I know how you feel. Keep up your courage Sarah, these day will pass and you will be stong and healthy again and taking care of your family. May God supply all of your needs and keep you in His loving care. it was good to see you on Wednesday.
ReplyDeleteThis whole blog just made me cry, happy and sad but just cry. I am so proud of you and your unwavering optimism no matter what gets thrown your way. We both miss you guys a lot and I am so glad that we have had more time to hang out when we do come home.
ReplyDeleteLove Sarah
Oh Sarah! My heart aches for you and the news of your fertility. We will pray for peace for that. I can imagine it will be hard. What a blessing your blood work is still good! We will continue to pray for that as well. It sounds like you have to start from scratch in the weight department...you might want to eat like your kids do... nothing fat free or "light" for a while. It was good to see you out & about at Oasis on Wed. Hope you like it & keep coming! The Bible studies are so great! God Bless!!!
ReplyDeleteJill
Nice to read a blog again, though like the others have commented it does come with some serious heart ache. Will pray for peace and comfort ... I second the Tchir family though, one never knows what beautiful windows may open later on. God still has amazing things in store for you! They might not be the ones you expect, but that's why God's so cool =) He loves to surprise us.
ReplyDeleteI hope you get some fat ... not fat, just fatter! Hehee, that sounds so wrong. Glad you have rediscovered how to eat peanut butter, it's a good helper for that (fat!). Any nut you can eat is great, they're full of fat! I hear McDonalds makes people fat!!! =)
Will continue to pray for all the many things that still need it ... GOD BLESS!
Hey Sarah! It was good to see you on Boxing day. I wish I could have given you a hug, but I did NOT want to get you sick. I hope we get to visit again at Opa's birthday party.
ReplyDeleteEverybody has said so much of what I want to say, but I will say it anyways. :)
I am so very happy that your blood work is looking good. Remember to take care of yourself first, so that you are able to take care of your family. It's hard for any of us mothers to remember that, and it's especially true for you. :)
I am so sorry to hear about your fertility issues. But like Krista said, you never know what God has planned for you. Sarah, you and Kurt have big hearts, and your family will be as big as you are able to manage. If you want a big family, you will find a way to make it happen. :)
As far as 'getting fat' goes, I hope I can give you some good ideas. Damon and I have been learning a lot about how our bodies process food. Keeping in mind that you need to give your body nutrition and not just calories, remember to eat lots of GOOD foods. In your case, this includes lots of easy-to-digest carbs. Eat (healthy) snacks, later into the evening so your body can store them up while you sleep. :) Take digestive enzymes and pro-biotics so that you digest your food thoroughly. And have fun re-developing your love for food. :)
Love you all very much!
Hope my ideas don't sound preachy ;) I'm just throwing them out there.
-Jodi S
Hey Sarah, I'm so Sorry that I havn't wrote sooner, Just look outside, others have been working hard also, I also help others close to my Heart Thats all
ReplyDeleteI'm Praying for you and your family.
I Love all comments posted and can't say any more
Many Blessings,Peace,Love, and much prayer
From My Sister and Brother
Hilda & John
Also Love, Monika
Lovely Sarah, what are you NOT going through? I want this to be over and become a distant memory for all of you. And the whole "having to eat when the desire is not there, or it is there but it's mixed together with the certain knowledge that filling up will most likely make you feel worse" thing - that sucks. Desire is not within our control or grasp; it just is what it is, and no amount of beating yourself up is going to change that. Then there's the guilt and the shame that just pops up all on its own; hearing Doctors tell you that you have eat more can even make you feel worse - because you already know that. I know, I watched that very dynamic being fought within the soul of a physically fit 17 year old. You are in the grip of a real threat and any progress, any progress at all of any kind is reason to rejoice.
ReplyDeleteThink micro advances and cut yourself lots of slack; this is harder than anything you have been through yet. We love you and we are not judging you, not wanting to be impatient with you. We all wish we could fix it and sometimes we might appear impatient because the solution seems very simple and it appears right under your nose. But you are being pushed, shoved, tossed about by very very powerful (even demonic) forces outside of your capacity to deal with. You have to hang on, you need to place confidence in our support of you, our love of who you are, and you have to love who you are - right now, right there. You are precious, even if it seems that can't possibly be true. True grit is called for. This is as dark as it gets sweet, sweet child. Love, Rick