Thursday, September 23, 2010

Stroll

Hello again,
  I'm not feeling the greatest today.  Still having trouble with nausea and vomiting, which makes me not want to eat very much at all.  I got to the hospital at 8:10, they did blood work and then started a different chemo than yesterday.  This one would only take an hour to run through the IV and then I would be able to go back to the apartment.  So I watched more brothers and sisters on DVD, and tried to eat some breakfast, which was a no go.  I guess I can no longer handle eggs and bacon.  I just tried to enjoy my hot chocolate and I got down about half of it.  Anyone have any ideas about what to eat?  I am at a loss and very frustrated.  The doctor came and said I no longer have this rhino virus thing as the swab came back clear.  My liver is "okay", and my heart is really good.  So the transplant is still scheduled to go ahead.

  Kurt and I came back to the apartment for some mushroom soup which I managed to keep down and then I went for a nap.  While I was sleeping Kurt went to get some groceries.   When he got back he forced me to go for a walk with him. We went for a walk behind the apartment in that valley.  Kurt was very proud that the Oilers flag was visible from a long ways away.  Tomorrow is a long day in the hospital with more chemo and more blood work.

12 comments:

  1. Sarah, Aileen and I are so glad to be hearing from you - you too Kurt. And Aileen says that soda crackers (baking soda in them) eaten ahead of what you are "really eating" will settle your stomach some. And ginger ale and peppermint tea with a bit of honey will also settle your stomach anytime. Good news about the rhino virus, plus great news about your heart and liver.
    You're doing it girl. Git 'er done!
    And what a man you selected to journey with through this vale of tears. He's a keeper. We love you both very, very much. Shalom

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mother in law always drank a ton of milk after her chemo ... it was about the only thing that was consistently something she could stomach. It helped her with eating too, since it lined the stomach a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HI Sarah, I'm glad you are able to have this blog. It's a great idea. I am still wondering when I can come and see you, if it is even possible. You are such a brave woman, and I believe it was very hard to say goodbye to your boys. Thinking about you always. Lots of Love. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good morning Sarah and Kurt. The sun is shining here and I hope it's a sunny day there too, because I know that gives you a boost to start the day. We hope this long day goes by quickly for you, Lots of love and prayers from Marg and I.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a blessing to know that you can start your day with a note from your Dad!! Family is truly a gift and the love we share together holds us up. We are all part of God's family, so may the knowledge you have of all of your brothers and sisters praying for you be an encouragement on this day and in the days, weeks, and months to come. Sending love your way and lifting you up to our Father who is so extremely fond of you!!
    "Let God have all your worries and cares, for He is always thinking about you and watching everything that concerns you." 1 Peter 5:7

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would try something with probiotics like Activia. The bacteria in your stomach are being killed by the chemo and you need to replace them with good bacteria. Keith

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Sarah and Kurt,
    It is such a privilege to be able to walk this journey with you through this blog. Thank you for sharing yourselves with us. Our thoughts and prayers are with you, your boys,and your extended family. May you both be strong and courageous, resting in the knowledge that God is in control and that he loves you all very much. May He grant you patience, peace and the ability to keep some food down!
    Love you both, Mary-Ann and Tom

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Sarah and Kurt. We are sure thinking about you guys as you go through this and praying for you both. Sarah, I remember how sick of it my mom got when she felt like a pin cushion from the constant tests, and poking and proding, and felt like she needed to eat, when everything tasted bad and made her feel worse. I'm sure she understands what you are feeling, even when it is hard for everyone else too. We will pray for you both to keep up your strength and positive thinking.
    Dave and Lisa Vander Heide

    ReplyDelete
  9. Linden is a champ, although he is crying at present, minor protest to the bed time routine, he was not interested in supper today, I suppose he inherited that picky gene from Kurt,otherwise his appetite is remarkable. Likes the van, wishes his parents would transport him around in one. Does not like movies with dinosours, but enjoys holding a toy t rex shouting RRROOOAAAAARRRRRRRRR, ...dynasoa.
    Sarah don't eat if you are nauseated, ask the DR for some ZOFRAN or Maxeran if you don't already have some. LOVE RATCH

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Richard. Thanks for the update on Linden! Thats weird that he doesn't like dinosaur movies. He is a bit of a scaredy cat. Sarah cant have zofran or maxeran because of the chemo that she is on. This limits her to gravol and one other one.

    @Keith. The dietician today told us that probiotic yogurt is not good for her in this situation. Something to do with adding more bacteria.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love reading your blog. It keeps me closer connected to you. Can you remember me reading you bedtime stories long ago? Life gets busy and we have been out of touch. Remember we are praying for you, as are many. When I was having trouble with my heart it brought me very close to God. If there is anything I can do for you please let me know. Uncle Keith

    ReplyDelete
  12. what about trying some ensure or boost, You can blend it with icrcream or fruit to add different flavors and then small sips at a time. it is loaded with protein and vitamins, just the things your body needs. Hope and pray that things will get better. will pray for the nausea, I know exactly how awefull that feels. Grace

    ReplyDelete