At Ten or so Elaine and Dale, and Dad and Margaret were here to say good bye before they went on there way. Once they left the nurse gave Sarah some blood as her hemoglobin was low. After that it was quiet and Sarah decided to relax for awhile. I took this time to go to Safeway and grab a few groceries for the apartment. After I got back I did a few loads of laundry, Mom can you believe it? I made it a long way through my life not knowing how to do laundry, but the streak had to end sometime. I don't think I shrunk anything either. At around 4 Sarah phoned me at the apartment and told me she was coming back for supper. So I walked over to her room and we packed up some things and headed back to the apartment. That blood really helped with her energy, so she helped fold some laundry while we talked to Linden on skype. He still seems to be enjoying his time at the Labrecque house. After supper we hung out for a bit and then made our way back to the hospital where a new drug was waiting for us. Methotrexate is a chemo that they use in small doses to help with rejection. She will get this drug four times in the next 12 days. It works by slowing down the immune system and making the transition a little more smooth. The next two or three weeks are going to be very tough for Sarah. She should be feeling okay for this weekend but around Monday mucosis will set in. This is a very painful part of the transplant, which will effect her mouth all the way down to her stomach. The way I understand it is the chemo kills the mature cells in her stomach throat and mouth leaving only immature cells. These cells will take time to grow into mature cells and until they grow it is very painful. On average the mucosis lasts for about ten days with day three or four being the most painful. During this time, if needed, Sarah will be hooked up to a pain pump and she will be able to give herself morphine as she needs it. The doctor told Sarah today that it is going to get harder each day now up until around day 12. After approximately day 12 things should start to slowly get better. However around day 21 is when GVHD or graft versus host disease can begin. This can be as small as a rash or it can become very severe. I understand that Sarah's chances of getting severe GVHD is reduced due to the fact that her donor is a relative, her donor is young, and that Sarah is young. So we will pray that Elaine's stem cells accept Sarah's body. Read that last part over because its kind of interesting right? Sarah is all settled into her bed watching Private Practice and ready to watch Greys Anatomy. I hope she has a good sleep tonight!
K
Thanks so much for all the comments, Sarah and I are constantly reloading to see the newest comment. If you are reading this blog and haven't left a comment yet, its your turn! Even if you just write your name. We are able to see how many people look at the blog as well as what country you are from so we know who you are. Also, I don't know how you do it Mom but you get me every time with your comments! Maybe its because I am your kid right?
This is Sarah's hospital room. A double room, all to herself.
Have you seen a prettier bald woman?
You are right, she is the prettiest bald woman!!
ReplyDeleteTake care Sarah and Kurt, and good luck in some of the tough days coming up. xo Sheri.
SO glad everything went well - very cool to see pictures...makes it alot easier to understand all the hospital jargon;-) You are looking very beautiful Sarah, and Kurt - you're an amazing writer, wow! :D Who woulda guessed?;) You guys are doing great and are very brave - may God continue to bring you through this with hope and peace - Love, Carly for the Blazina clan <3
ReplyDeleteWow, you guys are amazing, the strength you have shown has moved me to tears reading these posts. We will be praying for you continually these next few weeks that the stem cells will be accepted and that you would have minimal pain as your body starts to heal. Thank you for these posts and the pictures that go along with them...Sarah you are beautiful!
ReplyDeleteYay! So glad the countdown is on! Gooooo Sarah! You are so strong and you can continue to do this. I hope Kurt has you laughing as often as possible :). Still praying for you, we hope day 12 comes quick so you feel better!
ReplyDeleteLove you guys!
The Tchirs.
You are Superwoman Sarah! And definitely the prettiest bald woman I have ever seen. We all held hands and prayed for you tonight, although Lincoln called you Mr Fiend, but God knows what he's talking about.
ReplyDeleteYou two are an amazing example of love.Thank you for your courage.
Deb Pinchuk
Prettiest bald lady ever!! :) So glad to hear the last couple days have been ok. We know the next couple weeks are going to be hard but honestly Sarah you are AMAZING and by far the strongest lady we know. You're an inspiration to us all!! You have all our love and support!!
ReplyDeleteColin & Kelsey
I'm wondering if you can/are allowed to receive mail by Canada Post. If so.....why don't we all send a package and/or card with lots of love....and maybe a treat for the daily reporter. Be sure we are praying too!
ReplyDeleteLove, Wim and Tiny Vos, Manitoba
Hey Sister
ReplyDeleteI pray for you and Kurt everyday, including your sisters. And I know God is watching over you. Another Special Person that knows what's going on and knows your heart is your mom, Susan.
Please know she's watching over you at this time, in spirit. You will always look beautiful!
And as I pray now, Lord I pray that you will continue to strengthen my Sister and her husband each and everyday, second by second, minute by minute, hour by hour. That You continue to listern to their hearts as a family. Continue to strengthen Elaine.
Pour Your Peace Your Love and Your Mercy, on this Family and these Sisters of mine. And I Pray Lord that she knows that there are people hear that Love and Care for them. Be with them in there daily and evening tasks each and everyday.
I pray for your Cross established in your place where ever you are at that time.
Amen
Monika
Hey Sarah and Kurt! Its Kayla Visccher! i read your blog posts every single day! i am happy to hear daily that Sarah is doing well it always brightens my day. You are always in my prayers!
ReplyDelete- Kayla
Hey guys,
ReplyDeleteYour posts also bring me to tears, some joyful some of heartache. I think Sarah does look beautiful bald :)!! I pray for you tonight for so many things. I pray for a good rest, I pray that you continue to eat, pray for day 3 and 4 that God's presence is with you that it is overwhelming, that the strength from Him will be the strength you use to endure the pain. Prayer of thankfulness that you have a husband standing by your side supporting and loving you, and making you laugh!
Just want to leave you with this
Psalm 121
I lift my eyes up to the hills - where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord the maker of heaven and earth - He will not let Sarah's foot slip - HE WHO WATCHES OVER SARAH WILL NOT SLUMBER; - indeed, he who watches over Israel will not slumber nor sleep. The Lord watches over Sarah - the Lord is Sarah's shade at your right hand; the sun will not harm Sarah by day, nor the moon by night. - The Lord will keep Sarah from all harm - He will watch over Sarah's life - The Lord will watch over Sarah's life; The Lord will watch over Sarah's coming and going both now and forever more.
Believing in His promises!!!! For you now and always!
Christy
Calvin says HI!!
Hey Sarah! I have not read the blog for a couple of days but tonite (midnite) as I crawled into bed I thought about you, turned on the light and came back out to see the new posts. I am so happy that things are going well for you to this point and hope that you don't get too sick from now till day 12ish. I think about you alot, and yes you are still beautiful, your smile is amazing and your fight is fierce. You can do this!
ReplyDeleteps. Kurt...great job on the blog!
Hey Sarah and Kurt, we think of you everyday, and I love reading your blog. I don't know if I ever knew 2 more amazing people. You're strength is so encouraging, and it's so wonderful seeing all the support from your family and friends on line. You, Elaine and the rest of your family are in our prayers everyday. God Bless!
ReplyDeleteMelissa and Ken.
Hey Guys! Just wanted to say that you are really an inspirational couple and Sarah's your strength and perserverance is amazing. This blog was an awesome idea, and we are keeping you in our prayers always.
ReplyDeleteDirk and Andrea
ps. I commented because Kurt said I had to!!
Hi Sarah and Kurt. Thank you for keeping this blog and posting pictures. I look on the blog everyday to see if there is a new post. The strength and bravery you both show is an inspiration to us all. You are truly blessed to have one another. Steve and I keep you and your family in our prayers. God Bless. Riina and Steve Cazemier
ReplyDeleteHi Sarah and Kurt
ReplyDeleteI like reading your blog because then I know what's happening. I know God is with you. Sarah you do look very good bald. Kurt thank you for doing the blog. I'm praying for you.
From Jonah Drost
Wow ~ what a sweet picture of love as you lay together on Sarah's bed. Kurt, you are an amazing man. Sarah, you are such a beautiful woman, inside and out, and your strength and courage through all of this gives inspiration to many who walk this journey along with you.
ReplyDelete"God is your Shepherd. He leads you to still waters and green pastures. He goes before you and prepares your way. He is behind you with goodness and tender mercies." He dries your tears and expels your fears because His watchful eye is upon you always. Praying for pain-free days in this coming week and for restful sleeps. Stay well.
hey guys,
ReplyDeletewe're also wondering if there is somewhere to send you something. Can you post an address or send it in an email?
Or we could also pass something to your family...
Good episode of Grey's, hey Sarah?
Praying for you and that the next 2 weeks really fly by and that the pain is minimal and manageable. Big hugs...
Michelle
Hi Sarah & Kurt
ReplyDeleteJust wanted to tell you that we are thinking and praying everyday for you. Sarah, you are very beautiful every day. Thanks Kurt for the blog. We read it everyday. Hope the next 12 days go fast for you . Love Aunty Mary & Uncle Ben
Sarah and Kurt,
ReplyDeleteJust wanted to let you know that we think and pray for you often. Your strength is amazing and the love you share is beautiful to see. Thank you for your blog and for being so open and honest as you journey through this! Much love to you,
Michele and Mike
The strength and perseverance of Sarah is a miracle. Keep it up!
ReplyDeleteThe generosity and commitment from Elaine is a miracle. Sara you are very lucky!
The overall support from everyone reading this blog, commenting or not commenting, is a testament of faith and the strength of the christian community.
There is one more miracle though... Kurt did laundry. I am sure Sara is praising the Lord the most.
Love you all and praying for you everyday.
Braedan
P.S. I read your blog everyday in my office with my eyes watered over. I wonder what my co-workers think?
P.S.S. Kurt don't worry about being a pro at laundry. It takes many years. Nan just shrunk a new sweater she bought for me, which I wore only 5+/- times.
Love you two!
ReplyDeleteContinue to stay strong and thank-you for sharing your journey with us. We are very proud of you guys and continue to pray for a safe and quick recovery. Always in our thoughts, hearts, and prayers. love dave nik ryder and tripp
ReplyDeleteHi, blessing you with the presence of Jesus and praying continually for you and your family, love Dora and Alfred [Marie's mom and dad]
ReplyDeleteSarah, Kurt, and Elaine. You guys are so amazing. You are an amazing example of strength, love and perserverance. We will be thinking about you during the next while and pray that it will pass quickly!!! Kurt you are so amazing to be so supportive, as well as being such a great blogger, how impressive!!!
ReplyDeleteThinking about you guys,
Lisa Vander Heide