Tuesday, September 28, 2010

May Cause Drowsiness

Sarah is trying to catch up on some sleep before her big TV night starts.  She is going to watch Glee and then the good wife.  So I will have to do my best with this entry as I am writing it without her input.

I arrived at the hospital at about 8 and Sarah was gone already for an x-ray, she was back in the room by about 8:30.  The x-ray was done to rule out any lung problems that may have caused a fever last night.  I get the impression that they are very, very careful here and will do everything to make sure that if Sarah catches something they know about it right away.  She has been hooked up to her IV pole since yesterday and its starting to look like a little "crowdy" on her tree.  I can no longer keep track of everything that is on there.  They give her meds for so many different things now.  She is getting a lot of different anti nausea meds and those seem to be working.  She is allowed the stronger ones now as the Busulfan is done.  She is also getting antibiotics to try and combat any infection while its in its infancy.  She also received some medication to help the ATG rabbit medication go in, as well as the ATG.  It is almost 8 pm and no shakes so I think we might be in the clear today, which is awesome.

At about noon Sarah told me she was craving crazy bread from Little Caesars, so I hopped in the car and drove to the nearest one to get her what she wanted.  When I came back her and Elaine were eating the chicken strips that came for her lunch.  She ate and kept down quite a few crazy bread pieces as well.  This is the most I have seen her eat in weeks.  Sarah spent a lot of the day in her bed sleeping or dozing, I guess all those meds are also causing her to be quite drowsy.  Elaine, Dale and myself spent the afternoon quietly in her room.  At about 4 Sarah's Dad and Margaret crashed into the scene.  Sarah was still very drowsy and didn't talk much but I think she was happy to see more familiar faces.  We all stayed in the room until supper time and then went to eat and let Sarah sleep.  I am back in the room now with Dale and Elaine, but they will be leaving any minute for Elaine to get one more hormone booster shot.

Tomorrow is going to be a busy day for both Sarah and Elaine.  Elaine has to be at the hospital at 7 to get her CVC put in and then hooked up to a pump which will cycle her blood, taking out the stem cells.  This could take six to eight hours.  Sarah will have to undergo two treatments of total body irradiation.  The first one is at 8 and the second one is at 2.  I will write more about that in the next entry.  The Transplant will take place at around 7:00, at least that is what they said but we will see.  Today was a very lazy day for Sarah but it is expected.  Tomorrow will be an exciting day, and we hope and pray that things go well!

K

16 comments:

  1. Hey guys (collective term for all who are down in Calgary for the Big Day)

    Opa and Oma came to my house yesterday afternoon because Oma had heard that "dere was someting about Sarah on de computer". They read through all the posts and were amazed at both the medical and communication technology.
    "Can anybody wid a computer read dis?"
    "No, only those whose computers have internet access."
    "Where you find dis on de computer?"
    "There is an address up here."
    "So you write dat down en I ken tell odder people to read dat. I tink dey like to know."
    "OK Ma, here it is."
    "You ken tell Sarah dat we tink about her en pray for her?"
    "You bet, Pa!"

    So - message delivered :) Keeping you all in our thoughts and prayers.

    -Corry

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi guys,
    just wanted to let you know that we read these updates every night before bed. In fact I'm currently trying to convince Colin that he should go get us crazy bread for a late night snack - he is not so receptive of this idea. :)

    We will be thinking of you lots tomorrow and will be sending you all our strength!!
    Lots of love,
    Colin and Kelsey

    ReplyDelete
  3. So wonderful that Sarah managed to eat something! (One of my favorite things too, lol, it was a good craving!) Praying that everything goes well! =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thinking and praying for the big day tomorrow

    Vissers

    ReplyDelete
  5. We will be praying tomorrow for you all!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wednesday, the BIG DAY for all of you. GOD IS WITH YOU. For Elaine, as she sits in the hospital right now while her stem cells are extracted over the next hours. For Sarah as she waits for this life giving blood. For Kurt as he stands by and supports her. For the family gathered around in anticipation of what is to happen.
    May each one of you know that God is present with you. His presence in you is the hope of your life, the peace in your mind, and the song in your heart. His presence means that it is well with your soul. (the hymn "It is Well") I pray that you will rest in Him today and in the days to come. God is your Victory over every stronghold, your Confidence over every fear, and your conquering Warrior over every battle. We will continue to hold you all up in prayer today before our heavenly Father. We love you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We're praying for you Sarah, Kurt, Elaine and family as you go through the transplant and healing time.

    Love, Sheri and Steve

    ReplyDelete
  8. Even while out of town (victoria) I could access what's been going on. I am here today, in my home rooting for you Sarah (light and life), Elaine (our hero) and Kurt (3 inches of blinding fury and love). God bless your care givers - staff and drop ins! God bless you. May the day pass with even more hope for tomorrow. Praying for you. Peace

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hallo Sarah and Kurt we hope that the transplant do his work we think of you from the Netherlands we pray for you guys! Paul, Lenie, Joeri en Paisan Rietbroek (family of your dad Piet)

    ReplyDelete
  10. hey sarah and kurt. thinking about all you guys today (sarah, elaine and kurt and the entire reitvield/vriend family). it may be one of your hardest days but the beginning of so many more days to look forward to.
    kim

    ReplyDelete
  11. This verse came to my mind for you on day Zero.

    "He will shield you with his wings, He will shelter you with his feathers.His faithfull promises are your armour and protection.

    You are in my thoughts and praying for you , Kurt, Elaine and all your family surroundig you.
    Blessings on you all.
    Marijke

    ReplyDelete
  12. Bea and Randall HuismanSeptember 29, 2010 at 10:59 AM

    Hey Sarah, Kurt and Elaine (and the rest of you there on this day "0"). We are thinking of you continually and the hopes and concerns you have on this day. Celebrate the "new life" that Elaine is giving to you.
    God is so awesome, he will protect you all.

    Bea and Randall Huisman

    ReplyDelete
  13. We are praying for you today! God Bless you on this day!
    The Sneep's

    ReplyDelete
  14. May God bless all of you with His love, his peace and His strength especially today and in the next few weeks to come. We pray Sarah, that you will be able to keep down the food you need, that Elaine will produce lots and lots of those great stem cells for you, and that your body will accept them and happily grow them! We love you all!
    Tom and Mary-Ann

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey guys,
    I hope all is going well. All the best today with the transplant! I'm praying for you!
    Take care, can't wait to hear how every thing went.
    <3
    ps, Cael Lina and I are watching jersey shore tomorrow night. Time to teach him how to fist pump! :P
    Rebecca W

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey Sarah, we all hope and pray that your treatment goes well tomorrow, have a good sleep!
    <3 the struik's

    ReplyDelete